Graduating in Home Ed's Graduation Ceremony
Each year, Home Ed sponsors a graduation ceremony for our senior class. This very popular and successful event recognizes the achievement of our Home Ed seniors and their families. Home Ed graduation caps off a year of class fun and hard academic work.
Our graduation is a Home Ed event which is open to all Home Ed members - regardless of the sub-group you participate in. However, for many reasons, this is NOT an open graduation. There are multiple details involved in planning this event and several significant deadline dates (ordering diplomas, ordering caps and gowns, graduation program printing deadlines, etc.).
To participate in Home Ed's graduation ceremony:
- Join Home Ed at the beginning of the school year.
- Comply with all of Home Ed's requirements and deadlines for graduation.
ADDITIONAL GRADUATION INFORMATION
- Home Ed Member – The family must formally register as a Home Ed member prior to
the fall deadline, Oct. 1st.
- Date – The graduation ceremony is typically scheduled for the 2nd Thursday in May.
- Cost – Historically, a $50 graduation fee is collected in October. If costs for the venue,
sound technician, and after-party exceed the total collected, an additional fee will need to be charged in January. The cost of cap, gown, cords, graduation announcements, and diploma are also paid by each family.
- Cap/Gown – The graduate’s cap and gown are ordered from Josten’s in December. Home
Ed does not change the color (navy blue) so that younger siblings may re-use the cap/gown of older siblings or Home Ed friends.
- Ceremony – Students sit together as a class during the formal ceremony, and the
parents sit together in the opposite front section of the venue. This enables parents to walk across the stage to present their child with a diploma when the name of each graduate is announced.
- Location – The location of the graduation ceremony varies but is based on capacity
to hold our large Home Ed community and relatives. Past venues include Immanuel Baptist Church, Geyer Springs First Baptist Church, and Fellowship Bible Church.
- Reception/Boards – After the graduation ceremony, the sophomore class hosts a reception
where each graduate displays a board featuring photos and memorabilia.
- After-Party – Home Ed hosts a graduation After-Party for the graduates (plus up to 1
guest each). The After-Party is usually held at a local restaurant from 11:00 pm – 1:00 am and includes food, DJ, and dancing.
- Diploma – A formal diploma is presented to each graduate by the parents during the
- Credits verified – In both the fall and the spring, transcripts are verified by the graduation
committee to ensure each student has completed the necessary courses to graduate with Home Ed.
- Class photos – Formal class photos are taken following the afternoon rehearsal prior to graduation.
- Slide show – Students submit 4 pictures each for the slide show played during graduation.
In addition, a slide picturing a senior picture and a preschool picture is displayed as each graduate is announced to receive his/her diploma.
- Program – The graduation program includes a head-and-shoulders senior picture of each
graduate, as well as a 90-word write-up describing his/her high school achievements and future plans.
- Deadlines – Handouts describing all deadlines are distributed at the October mandatory
- Mandatory parent meetings – At least one parent of each graduate must attend the
mandatory parent meetings (generally in October, December, and March), as well as the graduation rehearsal the afternoon of graduation.